This page may contain affiliate links. This means I earn a small commission from your purchases, at no additional cost to you. For my full disclosure policy, click here, or learn how to start your own blog!
Pumpkin lovers, you are in for a real treat today! I recently stumbled upon a recipe from an old magazine page for caramel popcorn. The recipe was for microwave popcorn with M&M candies mixed into it and topped with homemade caramel. It was reminiscent of movie theater concoctions.
Have you ever taken a big, buttery bowl of movie theater popcorn and thrown some of your concession stand candy into it (if you have never done this before, you are missing out!)? It’s salty. It’s sweet. It’s delicious! Now imagine your movie theater concoction topped with an ooey, gooey, homemade caramel coating flavored with all the goodness of pumpkin spice. Amazing!
I decided to create my own take on caramel candy popcorn. We’re well into the season of all things pumpkin spice. I added pumpkin spice into the caramel and mixed pumpkin spice M&M’s into the popcorn to give you a mouthful of Fall flavor. If you can’t find pumpkin spice M&M’s (for shame!), substitute plain or peanut M&M’s. This sweet popcorn treat gets an added crunch from lightly salted, dry roasted peanuts. This was my first attempt at making homemade, buttery caramel sauce and I can promise you that store bought caramel popcorn is a thing of the past for me. You’ll have to restrain yourself from spooning this caramel into your mouth before it hits the popcorn! It’s that good!
- 1 bag microwave popcorn popped
- 1/2 cup pumpkin spice M&M's
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp . butter
- 2 tbsp . light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp . pumpkin spice
- 1/4 tsp . salt
- 1/4 tsp . baking soda
- In a 9x9 baking dish, combine popcorn, M&M's and peanuts. Set aside.
- In a small pot, heat brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, pumpkin spice and salt over medium heat.
- Stir continuously until mixture is well-combined and smooth.
- Take pot off of heat and add baking soda.
- Pour caramel over popcorn mixture and stir to coat evenly.
- Put baking dish in oven at 250º for 15 minutes.
- Take out of oven and stir mixture.
- Place popcorn back in over for another 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a rack, then enjoy!
Baking the popcorn allows it to keep its crunch so it won’t get soggy if you have any left to put away! There’s a lot of flavor packed into every little bite of this pumpkin spice popcorn. It’s a great movie night treat! Snuggle up under a blanket, pop in your favorite film and serve this pumpkin-packed snack in cute little popcorn boxes or eat it right out of the bowl!