Hi everyone, it's Marie and Pixie from Drool of Happiness again! If you missed my last post, I showed the lovely readers of this blog a super easy and cheap DIY dog shirt that you can check out here. Be sure to check out all of the other pet ideas, too!
Now that the weather is getting warmer, your dogs need a treat to cool down. Ice cubes in their water bowl is always nice, but why not spruce it up for them by making tomato ice cubes? I love making dog treats because I like to know exactly what's in it. But I also don't want to spend more than 15 minutes because not going to lie, I'm lazy. The great thing about this recipe is you probably already have all the ingredients on hand and takes only about 5 minutes. Yay for you and your dog!
Ingredients for Easy Tomato Ice Cube Treat for Dogs
- handful of mini tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of hot water
- 1/2 tablespoon of gelatin
Instructions for Easy Tomato Ice Cube Treat for Dogs
- Wash the tomatoes. Puree it in the mixer for about 10 seconds.
- Pour the water in a bowl. Slowly stir in the gelatin. Don't pour it in all at once because it tends to be clumpy.
- Stir in the pureed tomato into the bowl.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cube tray. I recommend a silicone one because it's easy to get the ice cube out keep its shape.
- Pop it in the freezer for about an hour.
- Let your pup enjoy!
This recipe yields 10 ice cubes. Pixie is about 6 pounds so I only gave her 1 ice cube. She wasn't pleased with this decision what so ever. The great thing about this recipe is that you can definitely save the others for later.
Our other dog Taffy LOVES vegetables so she came running for an ice cube. She chowed down on it within a couple of bites and it was gone in seconds. Our pickey eater, Daisy didn't enjoy the ice cube. Like humans, every dog is different. If your dog isn't into vegetables, this recipe can easily be changed up with any fruit or even some peanut butter.
How do you make sure your dog stays cool during warmer weather?
You might also like: