This page may contain affiliate links. This means I earn a small commission from your purchases, at no additional cost to you. For my full disclosure policy, click here, or learn how to start your own blog!
Even though I’m sure we’ll be enjoying Mexican food for dinner this evening, it’s pretty much a weekly (sometimes daily) staple in our household. Enchiladas, tacos, tamales, chimichangas, burritos – you name it, we’ve most likely made it. One of my favorite things we made was conchas after we returned from a trip to Mexico and I’m fairly certain I lived off these delicacies. They were surprisingly easy to make and SO good! But that’s a different recipes for another day.
Today I have a Slow Cooker Black Bean and Vegetable Soup recipe to share with you! To be honest, when we made this – we had no intention of it turning out the way it did. We kind of threw a bunch of things together and hoped for the best with pretty low expectations. To our surprise, it’s probably one of the best soups we’ve ever made. It’s actually super healthy, but it doesn’t taste like it is. Especially once you top it off with cheese like I always do.
- 2 Onions chopped
- 3 Carrots chopped
- 2 Celery Stalks chopped
- 6 Mini Sweet Peppers chopped
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Cans of Black Beans rinsed and drained
- 1 Can of Corn drained
- 6 Cups Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- 3 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 3 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp Oregano
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Dried Cilantro
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Optional: Cheese avocado and sour cream as toppings
- Once the vegetables are chopped, add them to a skillet with the olive oil and cook over medium until the vegetables are softened (approximately 5-7 minutes.)
- While the vegetables are cooking, puree the black beans and add into the slow cooker. Add in the broth and corn.
- Mix the garlic, tomato paste, oregano, cumin, cilantro, and onion powder into the vegetable mixture. Mix thoroughly. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Combine the vegetable mixture with the black beans, corn, and broth in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Serve with optional toppings.
The prep time does take a bit to chop everything unless you opt for a food processor, but it’s totally worth it! Plus it’s set it and forget it after the prep so it’s not too bad. Plus, there are a ton of options to change it up, too. Green chiles, cayenne pepper, lime juice, bell peppers, jalapeños, etc.
We pureed the black beans in full for this recipe, but you don’t have to. Depending on the texture and consistency that you prefer for the black beans/soup, you can skip this entirely or just partially puree the black beans.
You might also like: