This Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is easy and delicious! The perfect meal for cold days and a fun way to celebrate National Tortilla Chip Day!
Today might possibly be one of my favorite foodie holidays: National Tortilla Chip Day! Tortilla chips are one of my most favorite snack foods (especially when served as nachos or with salsa!) So to celebrate, I thought I would share a recipe I've been wanting to try for a while now – Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. Especially because it's been perfect soup weather here in New Jersey lately.
It was bone-chilling, record freezing, cold outside a couple of weeks ago and we've been seeing some on-and-off snow showers just about every week. My husband and I aren't the biggest soup eaters, but since this chunky soup packs in all of our favorite Mexican inspired flavors, I knew it would be a hit as a belly warming dinner for these cold, winter nights we've been having!
This slow cooker chicken tortilla soup does a great job of using up some of the ingredients you might already have in your kitchen. I have several cans of crushed tomatoes (the product of shopping a can-can sale), an opened case of Corona, and pickled jalapenos on hand. I also have several one-pound bags of dried beans in my cabinet that I've been wanting to use up.
Why would a person need so many beans, you ask? Well, last year I decided to go on a crazy diet that was supposed to boost my metabolism and burn fat. I ended up gaining weight instead. There were a few high protein days and a lot of the recipes used beans so I stocked up! Thankfully, I was able to use up the rest of two bags with this recipe.
- 28 oz . crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 16 oz . dark red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 15 oz . black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken, cubed
- 1 bottle Corona or your favorite beer
- 2 limes juiced
- 1-2 jalapenos optional, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Avocado shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips for serving
- Mix all of the ingredients in your crockpot and cook on low for at least 5 hours.
- Top with avocado, shredded cheddar, and sour cream. Serve with tortilla chips for dipping.
The one thing I really like about this slow cooker chicken tortilla soup is that it's chunky and almost reminds me of chili. So it's the perfect thing to serve with tortilla chips! Crush some up and use them as a topping or serve them on the side of this soup for dipping.
What's your favorite way to eat tortilla chips
You might also like:
- Chunky Tomato Soup
- Slow Cooker Black Bean and Vegetable Soup
- Chicken and Macaroni Pumpkin Soup
- Potato Leek and Corn Chowder